Wednesday 6 June 2012

Down to the Nitty Gritty

I squealed when I tasted this. It was that good. Actually squealed.
Awkward.
There may have also been a little jumping up and down and some frantic mild clapping 
I have this thing where I hate wasting food. So when I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner today I was inspired by using up some food I never thought I was going to eat. When my roommates moved out one girl forgot an opened taco kit here. It came with hard taco shells, taco seasoning and a special sauce. I am not a fan of soy meat crumbles (made to resemble ground beef) and so I thought the hope of using the seasoning and sauce was lost. The shells on the other hand were already multipurposed for me to shovel in snack on guacamole one night. 


A few days ago I was reading Hungry Hungry Hippie when I saw she made cornmeal grits and I couldn't get them out of my mind! I looked in my fridge and noticed some vegetables that were on their last legs. I initially thoughts about making a tex-mex wrap with the idea of Taco-cheeze grits sprung into my mind. 
Let me say I think this would definitely benefit from some avocados, I just couldn't bear to drag my lazy butt to the store.


Sidenote: my dessert for this dinner were some blueberries and a black bean brownie. These brownies were to die for. 
Photo proof. 


Tex-Mex Waste-Not Bowl
Serves 2
Grits inspired by Hungry Hungry Hippie

1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 small orange pepper, thinly sliced
4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cob of corn, kernels removed

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 medium tomato chopped

Taco sauce for drizzling

Start by cooking the onion and pepper in a frying pan on medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and corn and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until veggies are soft and browned. Stir in the tomato in the last minute

Meanwhile combine the milk, cornmeal, nutritional yeast, taco seasoning and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until cornmeal starts to thicken. Remove from the heat soon after. I left mine on too long and they were a bit solid towards the end of my meal.

Spoon the grits in the bottom of two bowls and top each with the veggies. I drizzled taco sauce over mine cause I had it. You could use salsa or hot sauce too!

I highly recommend eating this with a brownie and a tall glass of Arizona iced tea, drank out of a wineglass of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment